AmigaOS 3.x and Icaros 2.2.5 GLUT and MUI program experiments

I recently tested two types of programs on Icaros 2.2.5/Aros. The first was a basic GLUT program while the other was a basic MUI program.

GLUT

AmigaOS 3.x running simple GLUT program.
I tried GLUT as I was looking for a cross platform GUI library that provides basic windowing functions in OpenGL. Although GLUT provides basic window functions, it lacks in gadgets. So I did a further search and found the Agar Library and the GLUI Library, both of which I will try in the future.

So in testing GLUT on Icaros 2.2.5 and on AmigaOS 3.x, I downloaded a small sample program from this website. The sample program is here. I did modify the program and changed the screen resolution to 800 x 600 rather than the default of 1280 x 800.

The sample GLUT program ran and operated successfully on AmigaOS 3.x, which was running on WinUAE 3.4.0. When running on Icaros the program ran but it did not draw the line. So unsure as to the cause of this on Icaros as other OpenGL programs have been run successfully on Icaros. However, I do suspect that it is my VM software that is causing the problem in Icaros and not Icaros itself.

MUI

Icaros 2.2.5 running modified MUI sample program.
I tested MUI on Icaros by downloading and easily compiling the sample program from the Aros website. Once I compiled and ran the sample program, I did some reading on the Aros Zune/MUI Development page as well as on another Amiga C programming tuturial page that I found in regards to programming MUI. This enabled me to make a simple modification to create a basic game menu as shown in the screenshot on the left.

So the next step with the new menu would be to figure out how to create function calls linked to the added buttons to create and load game data. To progress or not to progress; that is the current question. Although, I do need to figure out how to program in such a way that code would successfully compile and run the same on Icaros and AmigaOS 3.x. Adding AmigaOS 4.1 to the list would be a plus, too.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AmigaOS Aros clone on Icaros Desktop version 2.2.5

FreeBSD and OpenBSD in Hyper-V - First Attempts

Recent AmigaOS 3.1 Word Processor Experiments