Tried to install Aros Icaros 2.3 Hostbridge on Linux Mint 20.3 but did not succeed

Sometime in the past I was able to install Icaros Hostbridge on Linux Mint 19.3. Since Linux Mint 20.3 was recently released, and I had installed it on a Dell Latitude laptop, I decided to try the newest version of Icaros 2.3 on it. 

My effort was not successful.

Icaros is an Aros distribution that is based upon the Amiga 3.1 operating system. I have used AmigaOS in the past, and I wanted to try Aros hosted in modern Linux environment. 

I had downloaded Icaros Desktop light as it was the smallest-sized download that could be run hosted in Linux. After downloading Icaros Desktop light, I burned the iso file to a 32GB Sandisk memory stick, and then mounted it in Linux. I set the script to install Icaros on Linux to executable, then ran the install script. 

The Linux install script installed additional packages for Linux Mint, and then attempt to install the Icaros files into the ~/IcarosDesktop folder. While copying the files over to the ~/IcarosDesktop folder, this is where the script started failing. Several "file not found" errors happened when the script was attempting chmod commands and even the ./icaros file was never created.

I tried deleting the ~/IcarosDesktop folder, and rerunning the install script, but it kept giving the same errors. 

I eventually gave up thinking that Icaros Desktop 2.3 and Linux Mint 20.3 no longer like each other. 

Maybe it'll work in the future, but until then, I'll have to run Icaros on an old Linux Mint 19.3 machine.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AmigaOS Aros clone on Icaros Desktop version 2.2.5

FreeBSD and OpenBSD in Hyper-V - First Attempts

Recent AmigaOS 3.1 Word Processor Experiments