OpenBSD 7.1 in Hyper-V - Third Attempt


So in a previous article I mentioned installing OpenBSD into Hyper-V. I had encountered a problem with disk space while trying to install packages. A partition the size of 20GB and 30GB was too small for the auto-partition feature of the OpenBSD installer. Gnome and Firefox took too much space for the auto-partition feature.

In fixing the space issue, I thought about possibly redoing the OpenBSD installation and use manual partitioning in order to have more space. It worked.

The auto-installer creates 9 partitions for OpenBSD. There is the root partition along with tmp, var, usr, usr/X11R6, usr/local, usr/src, usr/obj, and /home. So I deleted all these non-root partitions. I then had to delete the SWAP partition as it was preventing the root partition from being resized. I resized partition A to 95% of the 30GB disk and created a new SWAP partition that used the remaining 5% of the drive. 

This arrangement probably isn't ideal for a production or a long-term setup, but it works well enough for my context.

In this instance I was able to setup X with gnome and install Firefox and additional apps without running out of disk space. Additional apps I installed included LibreOffice and Abiword. 

Once again this article is being written in OpenBSD 7.1, but this time rather than using the default Gnome web browser, I'm using the Firefox web browser after being able to install it.

That's all for now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AmigaOS Aros clone on Icaros Desktop version 2.2.5

FreeBSD and OpenBSD in Hyper-V - First Attempts

Recent AmigaOS 3.1 Word Processor Experiments