AmigaOS 3.X, Windows 10, and AmiKit 8

Early in 2017 I started having issues with my ASUS laptop. About three months after an upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, the touchpad stopped working. I reported the issue to Microsoft in one of their feedback options, all the while not expecting any resolution. I worked on the laptop with a wireless mouse, but that was annoying having to have an external pointer device. Eventually I stopped using the laptop and switched to using my wife's old MacOS X 10.6 laptop.

About two weeks ago I had decided to downgrade from Windows 10 back to Windows 8.1 on the ASUS laptop. I was hoping that the touchpad would still work under Windows 8.1 like it did before the upgrade to Windows 10. The reason for deciding on the downgrade was that I was wanting to try out AmiKit 8 on my laptop. I had installed AmigaOS 4.1 PPC on the ASUS laptop early last year, but OS4 ran slower than what I was wanting, so I installed OS4.1 onto my desktop workstation instead. The laptop has an i3 processor and it wasn't enough for PPC emulation. Moving to the desktop provided a significant boost in OS4.1 PPC performance.

But I wanted AmigaOS on a laptop. Similiar to how Trevor Dickinson has been talking of using AmigaOS on his Acer laptop; that is what I was wanting, too. My laptop; however, was too slow for Amiga OS 4, and I already knew of AmiKit, so I decided to try it on my laptop.

Early last week I started the process of backing up my documents in Windows 10. During this backup process I was using the touchpad. Normally the touchpad would work for a few minutes after powering on the laptop and after logging in. Then it would simply stop working. At this point I had not used the ASUS laptop for 3-4 months, and as I was backing up files, I noticed that the touchpad kept working beyond its typical stopping point. And it kept working. I used it for quite a while, performed a Windows 10 update, and low and behold, it kept working. So I abandoned the downgrade as it appeared to be no longer needed.

After a few day of continous use with no touchpad issues, I proceeded with getting AmigaOS working on the laptop again. It already had AmigaForever 2016 and an updated WinUAE client on the laptop. So I retried the AmigaOS 4.1 PPC emulation, and it was still running slower than needed. On the other hand, a previous setup of an A4000 with an 040 processor ran very well. The standard setup in AmigaForever of an A4000 running AmigaOS 3.X was great, but I wanted the bells and whistles with AmiKit.

So I got AmiKit 8.0 working and updated it to version 8.5. And it works well and fast on the ASUS i3 laptop. Version 8 doesn't have the Rabbit Hole feature, but I'm not too concerned with that at the moment. I use the included NetSurf web browser and ALT+Tab back to Windows 10 for Firefox whenever I'm browsing to a site that I'm sure NetSurf cannot handle. Currently I am using AmiKit 8 for some basic word processing and C/C++ programming.

I installed AmigaWriter 2.0 from an Amithlon CD that I had in my media case. AmigaWriter 2 is definitely dated now, but it has basic word processing abilities for creating rough drafts for blogging and for basic documents. I plan on trying to get Final Writer '97 copied over from my old A1200 computer, and that will be better, I think, for adding images to documents and for having a good spell checker.

One of the good things about using AmiKit 8 is that it, along with WinUAE, can run on multiple computers. And by saving work data to a jump drive, I'm able to take my work with me and plug it into another instance of AmiKit on another computer. I can even run AmiKit directly from the jump drive on multiple computers if I wish. I prefer having Amikit installed and running from the host computer in order to backup the files from the jump drive to each host. This way there are multiple backups of my work.

In time I will upgrade to AmiKit X, but for the time being version 8 is adequate for my needs.

Perhaps in a future blog entry I will mention my current software development project for AmigaOS. It's nothing earth-shattering, for sure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AmigaOS Aros clone on Icaros Desktop version 2.2.5

FreeBSD and OpenBSD in Hyper-V - First Attempts

Recent AmigaOS 3.1 Word Processor Experiments