Trying Out FreeBSD 12.0



It has been several years since I have experimented with FreeBSD. And lately I have been watching FreeBSD videos on YouTube as well as reading articles about it.

I recon that my interest was perked recently when I read that the new package manager in the HaikuOS was designed similarly to the package manager in FreeBSD.

So a few days ago, I downloaded the new FreeBSD 12.0 ISO and created a new VM to test it out. Well, I had forgotten that FreeBSD boots to a text login prompt as apposed to a graphical login prompt.

As I was exploring and trying to get X working, the process was reminding me of the time several years ago (back in the 90's) when I first started learning Linux. Back then X had to be configured manually by editing config files. Configuring X became a little easier when I discovered xconfigurator.

Thankfully the FreeBSD documentation helped walk me through setting up X and getting a window manager installed. I chose Xfce as a window manager since it is lightweight. I was also glad that I learned how to work with Vi as that was the only editor available until X was configured and started.

In time I installed Firefox (within which this article is being composed), PostgreSQL, LibreOffice, Apache, PHP, OpenJDK, GCC, Code::Blocks, and some other apps. I even managed to successfully compile and run a "Hello, World" C++ program in the process.

Thus far it has worked out well for me. I've worked my way through getting FreeBSD operating to my liking. In time I may leave Linux behind and go with FreeBSD instead. Only time will tell.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AmigaOS Aros clone on Icaros Desktop version 2.2.5

FreeBSD and OpenBSD in Hyper-V - First Attempts

Recent AmigaOS 3.1 Word Processor Experiments