Installing Legacy Word Processors on OS/2 Warp: WordPerfect

So I had this idea of installing a legacy word processor application onto an old Operating System. I decided to use OS/2 Warp 4 as the OS. 


In the past I was a fan of OS/2 Warp. I liked its stability and its responsiveness. It was truly, in my opinion, better than Windows 3/95. In a previous experiment I tried working with OS/2 Warp 3, and I even bought a licensed copy off of Ebay several years ago. My copy of OS/2 Warp 3 came on 3.5" floppies and included  CD-ROMs. 

I had installed OS/2 Warp 3 on an old computer, but I quickly realized that without Internet connectivity, it was hard to do much with it. Warp 3 was around at a time when the Internet was still young, so extra networking software was needed to browse the World Wide Web. After this realization, I moved on to other Operating Systems.


For some reason I have lately been interested in using old Word Processing applications. I was researching WordPerfect and discovered there were two versions of it for OS/2: WordPerfect 6.x for DOS and WordPerfect 5.2 for OS/2. During my research of WordPerfect for OS/2, I discovered and acquired OS/2 Warp 4.51 out on the Internet. I also discovered that the DOS version of WordPerfect 6.x could run under OS/2. So I obtained OS/2 Warp 4 and installed it into VirtualBox. After installing it, I installed WordPerfect 6.x for DOS in OS/2, and it worked with no problems. 


I started thinking about maybe putting pictures and graphics in my writing, so I decided to also install WordPerfect 5.2 for OS/2 as the DOS version of WordPerfect was limited with the inclusion of graphics. I had problems getting WordPerfect 5.2 working as I kept getting a memory error when trying to run the app. But after experimenting with the memory on the virtual box and setting it to 256MB RAM, WordPerfect 5.2 for OS/2 would run. At least partially. At this time I am still having problems with WordPerfect locking up when trying to Save or to Load a file. 

So hopefully I can solve the Save/Load crashing problems so that I can use WP 5.2 on OS/2 for some writing. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AmigaOS Aros clone on Icaros Desktop version 2.2.5

FreeBSD and OpenBSD in Hyper-V - First Attempts

Recent AmigaOS 3.1 Word Processor Experiments